Sunday, May 16, 2010

FIDM projects.. the good.. the bad.. and the ugly

Over my years at FIDM we have had some pretty strange assignments. In materials and props, we were asked to build a scale model of a store window featuring a prop made by us from a plaster mold of an every day house hold object. My object.. and cassette tape.  So I used it as a feature in the window of my vintage comic style record store window. The next project was to make a collage of products by a designer of your choice, so I took the best Salvatore Farragamo's advertisements and merged them all together to make an even better one. Then my construction and innovation were put to the test, challenged to make a lamp out of recycled materials. So tearing apart an old lamp, and adding some old doilies, a sash, spray paint, and hot glue I was able to reduce, reuse and recycle that tired old lamp. The next was a home product display case..enough said. And then we enter the realm of window displays.. we took a surgical theme and turned it into a world of glamor. Our next window featured Janice Dickinson.. as old as the dinosaurs, but so well preserved thanks to Zip Lock.. literally. And then you see my hand at advertising... I took a very lackluster plastic surgery ad and made it into something unforgettable.. plastic surgery.. its more then just a game. The next is my first ever attempt at using illustrator to create a logo.. popsicle flowers..talk about perishable.  Then we get into some environmental design, one of a living room and the other a collection of displays for a store including a store front window, Tiffany box, and floor display. And last but not least a depiction of my soul..framed and ready to be hung on your wall. Elton John, in a lush lawn, green trees, in company with a peacock the symbol of love and power all over laid by some honeyed words of mine and the sprinkling of rain on a windshield.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley ROCK$$ Seriously, she was my right hand in so many shoots where I would've dropped the ball (well tie, the ideal complimentary accessory, my head) if SHE hadn't been there... Love this Girl/Woman!$ Really in this shady biz, poser wack intern/wanna be somebody's yet no real drive or work ethic, Ashley was the Whole package and also one of only two I have EVER worked with/had intern or assisting directly, who actually was finishing my sentences or just step ahead with accessorizing and then some, like every shoot and show of mine. My girl Family$TYLE
    -Sterling Williams
    http://STYLEbySterling.com

    ReplyDelete